Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Intern Life

I would not be here or have as much determination and drive in my field if not for internships while in college.

So as I started getting experience, while still in school, I interned at PGA in atlanta, the PGA.com website. That was the coolest job ever, not paid, but I didn't care, it was PGA! Proabably coolest of all was that I worked with John Buzzell (Creative Director) and Todd Dominey (the now infamous Slideshow Pro phenom). Back then, I saw his early website and was celebrity inspired. Still am! I truly appreciate that experience. But yes, I applied to the Turner (PGA company) website, for a full-time position there, counting my internships while still in school as in-field experience. I was astounded (but I was an INTERN!!!) type of thoughts when I heard no response. The application for a position at Turner required at least 4 years of experience. I counted my time in college as experience back then. I figured they just didn't see my potential.

Fast forward to 2009... I now am gaining in-field experience, really: that means now that I know, not when you were in school, but actual jobs and experience from those jobs so that you gain real-world experience. Don't get me wrong, Internships are the breaking point in an employer when comparing two people with similar experience level. Internships mean that you had industry experience while in schooling, which means that you took the time to take an unpaid job and be accountable to be greatful to work there, and gain knowledge from industry professionals!!! Looking back, I so appreciate the opportunity I had.

So how do you get an Internship? You have to get out there and build relationships while in school. I didn't know it, but I was building relationships with my professors. At the time, I just wanted to make sure that I knew that I was doing what was asked of me for assignments while in college. I talked to my department head a lot, not only because she was accessible, but because I genuinely wanted to know what I was doing right, wrong, etc. And I also respected her doctorate (Ameeta!!!) She was the one that told me (There is a job fair, why don't you apply?) Immediately I saw CAUTION. 'I am in no way ready for that!!!' I thought to myself. But I took her advice and went. My websites weren't done, but I had DOCUMENTATION. Being an artist at heart, I liked to sketch out my thoughts and designs on paper first. So when I got the call to interview with PGA for the internship, I was elated! I was there about an hour before interviewing, and took it all in: You needed a pass from a security guard just to get into the place, then a series of gaining a special visitors pass. I was like 'Whoa, this is real time!' I finally got to my interview, and was just myself. I ended up talking to John for over an hour (showing him my sketches and my enthusiasm) and at the end, on the train ride home, felt good about it. I knew it was mine. Sure enough, got the call for a start date!

Looking back, that was, and still is, a major experience that showed me the possibility of where a career in the field could go. And among many other things, this set experience, and determination and drive, to keep the dream alive in my web design career.

Next Blog: Intern Life and What I've Learned

No comments:

Post a Comment