Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Should I be a Web Designer?

So I have recently asked myself the question "I thought I was up to speed on web design?"

I went on for about a month questioning myself, stressing myself out, "Am I really that far behind?", "Am I in the right profession?", "Am I giving my clients what I should be giving them?", and there are more along the same lines. Now I love designing websites, but you may ask, "Well, what part of designing a website?" So I got a bachelors in "Interactive Media Design" in 00 (sounds wrong but the 90's are over!!!). So while in my days of figuring out what this web thing was and how to design for it, I was given teaching and advice by industry professionals in school. So of course I didn't just leave school and not Google things going on, I was trying to establish myself in a new career. Who has time for that during that time??? Well, those now in school should. It is a simple thing to do, just keep up with the [link]w3c website[/link] and also other web design websites that keep themselves current like:

1. Alistapart.com (great read)
2. Zeldman.com (inspiration on day to day from an industry leader)
3. Thefwa.com (consistently updated sites given recognition and links to their website)
4. I'll add to this...

So as a creative person, I might venture in another subject from time to time (I don't mean it), but is releveant, then I'll come back, promise :)

So can't get into a bio right now of where I am now, maybe I'll post on my (finally!!) updated personal site, angelamiller.net. Someone else already has the angelamiller.com domain, I caught on too late! So I'm at .net, not .com.

So while going back to my roots of why I even wanted to web design, I was in this personal crossroads. 'I love what I do, but maybe I am in over my head!' type of everyday conversation. Come to find out, I was trying to DO IT ALL... I wanted to impress my job, myself, my freelance clients, and anything they asked of me, I wanted to do. And I TRIED. Before I go any further, I want to say, I am not a big fan of re-inventing the wheel. If it's been done, I should be able to make it (whatever application I needed, modify it) do what I want. I could only go so far. Which brought me back to a saying from one of my professors (Find one platform you like and focus on that, don't try to do it all). But you are talking to Angela Miller, and I thought I could do it all! I wanted to be well rounded in as much as possible, from web design front end, to video for the web, minor print (like business cards and graphic design logos) whatever was asked of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment